Tutorial : How important it is and how it supposed to be formed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tutorial : How important it is and how it supposed to be formed

Just a topic about the tutorial in the game.

I think the most important thing you should look at, its a tutorial that will keep the interest of "new" people, in the game.
    We all remember how difficult it was to understand even the basics of FID. How difficult to understand even how you suppose to play and what you should do.

Any thoughts about that? Are they?

I will share my thoughts if you are interesting and thinking something like that.

I'm liking this whole thing where it's not just me making topics genuinely, shows us that even after 8 years people are still passionate about this <3

This was going to be one of my weekly topics eventually but we can fire it out now as you asked. I'm a little weary that I've shit on FID a bit, and that's not really my intention - I think everyone knows how much I loved that game but this is on area were I feel no regret in pulling no punches.

I absolutely begged them for a tutorial. I think the new user retention rate was mentioned at being 0.1% or something similar. There are 550k people with accounts on FID. There's clearly a disconnect between signing up and playing.

So, here's the plan we came up with in Belarus. Player makes account, can't remember if they make their player before or straight after but they're transported straight away to the stadium and put in the game. There, they make a tackle. Then a pass. Then a shot, scoring a goal. All guided, all linked together. Just a quick tutorial for an introduction.

Show people the game. Get them actually playing. Then if they want to do the extra tutorial stuff like headers and volleys, goalkeeping drills - whatever - they can do.

That's the idea. If anyone has extra ideas or even their own variation it's not being made yet so feel free to chip in.

Comment

Teaching them how to train in the tutorial would be nice. And then some sort of message explaining if they find a team there will be scheduled matches at specific times or whatever. Though this leads me to another question, but I will post in the what's different thread.

Comment

We would take them round the whole site. Trophy Manager is the tutorial that I think is perfect, so would like something like that.

Comment

Yeah the idea is to try to give users an idea of the game in that inital tutorial as James said.
          Then they'll have a bunch more tutorials they can go through if they want to know more about different aspects of the game. Some will be interactive (learning how to play GK) and others will just be informative (learning how and when to train).

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerbasket View Post

So, here's the plan we came up with in Belarus. Player makes account, can't remember if they make their player before or straight after but they're transported straight away to the stadium and put in the game. There, they make a tackle. Then a pass. Then a shot, scoring a goal. All guided, all linked together. Just a quick tutorial for an introduction.

Show people the game. Get them actually playing. Then if they want to do the extra tutorial stuff like headers and volleys, goalkeeping drills - whatever - they can do.
            That is exactly my Idea. In my opinion,a tutorial to be successful for me has to be 2 things.
            1) Simple to understand.
            Don't give people too much to read. Everyone is bored to read about a game they don't know if the are like it. Get them to like it by giving them a taste!

2) Interactive in a way that draws the attentions of a player!
            The tutorial should be simple to understand and short in duration as you already mention. I don't think there are people out there that they like to participate in a 10 minutes tutorial.
            Give them a taste of the basics and as you already said, make them to play it and participate in the next drills and "professional tutorials".
            My opinion? The more extreme tutorials (about one touch, goalkeeping, dribbling with opponent, stars and bars etc...) should be unlocked after you train some days your player.
            So you will make people want to log in again and again so they can unlock the drills and extreme tutorials....
            Someone will think " I should log in 10 more days so I will unlock the shouting drills. I really want to see what this is all about."
            Give motive to people. Is something that everyone wants!
            Last edited by Wazzaa; 19-04-17, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Following Wazzaa's last post i feel i need to input some ideas.
              Lately i started (again ) an online strategy game , many worlds that finish early or late, depending of game speed, you got the idea..
              And i just got amazed about the technique they put into it for retaining users, especially new ones:
              - you start the game - you get a virtual "mentor" that will guide you at the beginning, first few days/ weeks
              - you complete quest/ action/ game demand or just a "click left red button to search for a team/ see your stats, etc " and you get something- here can be about exp. points, etc something all chars can get at the beggining but only after following the required steps.
              - also another reward can be a 1/2/3 day trial of a "pass support" , this can be a gift also after 10 / 100 matches played, or give credits that added to the aaccount can buy a few days of trial.
              - anything that player can get for free but on limited bases urges him to have more if he like it, putting some money ingame .
              - this is a success technique used by many games, ofcourse must be adapted here but can make the difference between profit or loss.

Just think about it if you can implement this

Comment

Thanks for your input Cristian. We have also been using our experiences of other games, to make the learning experience more engaging and informative for new users. I'm sure we will use some of the "tricks" that you have mentioned to lure people into spending money in the game

Comment

That is true. Nice ideas Christian!
                  I don't think that the "development team" will have a problem in this part of the game!!!
                  We'll wait and see....

Comment

Working...
                  X