Main Release: Stadium and Training Ground

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main Release: Stadium and Training Ground

We’ve mentioned them a few times already, so I thought it was about time we fully explain our ideas and see if you have any suggestions. So when a manager decides to start his own club, he’ll get a basic stadium and training ground. The general idea is that stadiums will generate you some additional income during the season, while training grounds will boost the development of your players. For a fee, managers will be able to upgrade the facilities to boost the benefits they provide.

We’re really excited to introduce these features as they’ll give managers the freedom to run clubs how they want. You could focus on building up your training facilities to develop your own stars like Monaco. Alternatively, you may want to build up your stadium and buy your way to success like Real Madrid. It’s also worth mentioning that the transfer market will play a big part in a team's progression and managers will approach transfers differently.

A team would only earn stadium money from home matches and friendly matches (split 50/50). To reward and promote active teams, the money you will earn from matches will be proportional to your UDP. If your stadium produces £100,000 per match at full capacity, you would only earn £50,000 if you had 50% UDP. We also want to introduce a small home team advantage, which should give the weaker teams a bit more of a fighting chance at home (like Burnley in the Premier League).

I feel like there is still something missing for training ground. I was thinking about some kind of “homegrown” bonus for players who started their career at that club?

Bonus for players that started their career in club and having bonus is great idea. Then we could have more managers who would love to make team from the ground to the top .

Comment

Can't agree with that Indy, purely because it goes against what we were talking about in a previous topic. Having bonuses like that (although logical) stops the transfer market from evolving properly. It also gives yet another reason for younger players to stay away from the lower tier clubs and just sit on the bench in a well established club, due to again better training. It provides an in-game advantage to the top tier players, and I don't want to encourage that.

Stadium finances needs some more thinking, the UDP idea we had before is good but I wouldn't say your UDP exactly equals output. The UDP impact should be so the biggest increase to money is from 30-80%, so that a difference of 90-100% you're only missing out on 2% of revenue or something. I can't think of the word for it but:

0% UDP - 0 dollar
      10% - 3%
      30% - 25%
      50% - 50%
      70% - 80%
      90% - 98%

Or similar. I'm just saying it shouldn't be quite directly proportional.

Comment

I like most the ideas, but I don't like a home team advantage. It's something that has no place in a football game IMO. Imagine playing FIFA online with home advantage, it'd be game breaking. Sure, it would even out the playing field a bit when a weak team is playing at home vs a strong team, but on the other hand, it would:

1) Make it even more impossible for weak teams to compete away vs strong teams
        2) 2 perfectly matched teams (we saw this in FID over the years a bunch times when it was almost impossible for teams to break each other down) will be separated by a random home bonus, which will only trigger people in an online game.

Comment

It's actually something that I've done some research on, and there's numerous articles - one which was on SkySports 3 weeks ago of all places - which backs up the idea that home team advantage exists. While it is not as strong as it used to be, it is something that you can measure and I think it should be something that is included.

Regarding your points, 1) weak teams can't compete against them anyway. If I were playing in a weaker team, I would rather have slight chance in one, than no chance in both. 2) It would not be "random", it would be a set value.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerbasket View Post
            Can't agree with that Indy, purely because it goes against what we were talking about in a previous topic. Having bonuses like that (although logical) stops the transfer market from evolving properly. It also gives yet another reason for younger players to stay away from the lower tier clubs and just sit on the bench in a well established club, due to again better training. It provides an in-game advantage to the top tier players, and I don't want to encourage that.
            Yeah I can see both sides of the argument. I do want to give something to "homegrown" players but maybe we need to be a bit more creative, given the reasons you've stated James.

Stadium finances needs some more thinking, the UDP idea we had before is good but I wouldn't say your UDP exactly equals output. The UDP impact should be so the biggest increase to money is from 30-80%, so that a difference of 90-100% you're only missing out on 2% of revenue or something. I can't think of the word for it but:

0% UDP - 0 dollar
            10% - 3%
            30% - 25%
            50% - 50%
            70% - 80%
            90% - 98%

Or similar. I'm just saying it shouldn't be quite directly proportional.
            Yeah I get what you mean, definitely agree

Comment

It's actually something that I've done some research on, and there's numerous articles - one which was on SkySports 3 weeks ago of all places - which backs up the idea that home team advantage exists. While it is not as strong as it used to be, it is something that you can measure and I think it should be something that is included.

Regarding your points, 1) weak teams can't compete against them anyway. If I were playing in a weaker team, I would rather have slight chance in one, than no chance in both. 2) It would not be "random", it would be a set value.
              When I said random, I meant something included into an online game that shouldn't be. I'm not denying home advantage exists in real life, that was never the point. But an online game should always thrive to be as much about skill as it can, even if it has to skip realism in some aspects.

Also, it's not like the home team gets an advantage just because they're the team at home - it's more because the away team fails to adapt to the different circumstances, be it the lack of support from their fans, the pitch conditions, etc.

With that said, I'd be more than happy for stuff like pitch designs, grass type, etc. to be included in the game and then have a stat like composure/adaptability (which would matter more in away games) and players with a lower stat would get a decrease in their stats accordingly when they play away. So teams could sign players with low composure but really high other stats so they can have the best home record but then be absolutely dog shite away (cough Hull cough) or go for players with a high composure stat. You could have some boots that adapt better to certain grass types that players can purchase so they're more effective on that. You can probably do many things that I can't remember right now.

There's things that can be done to make being at home actually matter, but just giving the home team a bonus is the cheap, lazy way to do it and I don't like it.

Comment

Can't argue with that to be honest Mini. So help us find a better way to generate the same effect.

Comment

Well, I tried. xD Don't know how you feel about the composure stat I mentioned or having certain grass types that players may or not be adapted to, whether that's done through purchasing boots or training something. I would say the composure (or whatever you wanna name the stat) approach is better. Basically, there's more pressure away from home because you're performing in front of thousands of opponents' fans, so a more composed player can deal with pressure better (perfect example: Messi in the latest El Clasico at the Bernabeu). This way, the away team may still suffer if the players don't have a high composure level, but not every single player will suffer, depending on the stat.

As for numbers... Just off the top of my head: 100 composure would mean no decrease in stats when away. 99 means maybe 0.1% decrease in every stat, 98's 0.2%... 90's 1%, 50 's 5%, etc. So the biggest decrease you'd get in stats would be 10% if you completely ignore composure (100 dribble goes to 90 dribble if playing away, for example, and every other stat also goes down 10% so that's quite significant I would say).

Don't know how you feel about this. The advantage is still there for the home team unless you play a highly composed team.

Comment

Again, it's a really interesting idea. The main drawback with that one is that we kinda took out all the "mental" attributes, so things like def pos, attack pos, anticipation... vision, we think they're all player attributes, not something that's trained as a stat. To be clear, a player's vision on FID wasn't down to how well they'd trained, it was if they were were David Goncalves versus ... someone shit.

Composure again I feel falls into that category. Some people could handle the "big occasions", others couldn't. The problem is there's no real way to accurately portray that as a home vs. away thing, which is why I felt the home team getting a slight boost was fairly decent. I think overall though, if we can find enough things to bring in like pitch size (which would make a huge difference in a game like this I think), pitch design and all sorts of things like that, maybe we can actually make it feel like home advantage on soil you're used to can be an advantage. Even things like hardness of surface so you need less/more stamina or slickness of pitch could be considered I guess, so technique is more important, versus a dried out pitch so you're having more fights could be interesting...

Comment

Yeah, well, I'd prefer composure (just because you removed the other attributes it doesn't mean you can't have something like this in the game to generate an effect you'd like) as it also makes characters hard to max out - you've gotta consider carefully if you wanna be really effective at home and not so much away, or if you wanna be slightly less effective at some things so you can play at a high level away still.

Anyway, pitch size, pitch pattern, grass type, dry or wet grass could all work too and maybe you can have boots that work better on certain grass types as I mentioned earlier and/or, for example, if you're playing on a wet pitch, there could be a cap of speed at 90 or something because it's harder to run at high speeds without slipping, so if the home team has slower players, they could see slowing the opponents down as beneficial.

Comment

Yeah as James said, we're not having any "mental" attributes as they are down to the user controlling the character.

Originally posted by Mini Miudo View Post
                        When I said random, I meant something included into an online game that shouldn't be. I'm not denying home advantage exists in real life, that was never the point. But an online game should always thrive to be as much about skill as it can, even if it has to skip realism in some aspects.
                        Also, it's not like the home team gets an advantage just because they're the team at home - it's more because the away team fails to adapt to the different circumstances, be it the lack of support from their fans, the pitch conditions, etc.
                        There's things that can be done to make being at home actually matter, but just giving the home team a bonus is the cheap, lazy way to do it and I don't like it.
                        I get what you're saying. I think having a home advantage would mean you may have to consider other tactics when playing away from home, so that would require skill and creativity to execute other game plans. But yeah it is a bit of a lazy option if we're being brutally honest. Being able to modify pitch size/design is a cool idea and there are a lot of different ways we can go with it as James said.

Good job Mini ogchamp:

Comment

A single tear falls down Mini's cheek as he finally gets agreement from both of us

But this is how shit gets made better! Someone pointed out that something wasn't quite right, and while we still agree that our theory is correct, as T said maybe it was a little bit too lazy so now we have a better way of implementing it to generate the same effect. Hopefully.

Comment

Lol

Yeah, I'm not against home advantage as long as there's a way to combat it or lessen its effects. At least with pitch size/pitch design (and whatever other things get added), if the away team fails to adapt it's their fault, rather than just the game's. Sounds good.

Comment

And what about the homegrown situation. Can you solve that for us as well Mini? Then you get free slots for life :kappa:

Honestly I can't see an obvious way to include a homegrown bonus, as people are much less likely to move clubs on this game. Staying at one club for your whole career was quite normal on FID.
                              Should it only be a bonus for low level clubs?

Comment

Working...
                              X